Sunday, April 1, 2012

What I learned from Julie B. Beck, Silvia Allred, and Barbara Thompson

"We must cherish one another, watch over one another, comfort one another, and gain instruction that we may all sit down in heaven together." These famous words spoken by Lucy Mack Smith about Relief Society sum up how I have felt about the service rendered by Julie B. Beck and her counselors, Silvia Allred, and Barbra Thompson. Through their words they have conveyed their love for the women of the world and taught me, personally, how to be a better woman, wife and mother.

They have utilized the power of technology so their words are made available more quickly to so many. The interviews they have given have been heartfelt and enlightening. It is not easy to lead over 6 million women of all walks of life from around the world!

Sister Beck has taught me to be a "mother who knows." Because I know who I am and who God is and have made covenants with Him, He will help me in guiding and teaching my children. I have learned that even though disappointments will come I need not be disappointed in myself, especially if I qualify for, receive, and know how to follow the Spirit. The true measure of success is knowing the Lord is pleased with my feeble efforts.

At a time where it is unpopular to speak of the traditional roles of women Sister Beck has been courageous in teaching The Doctrine of the Family - helping me to understand it more than I ever did before, thus enabling me to teach it more in depth to my own children.

From Sister Beck I have learned the importance of studying the history of Relief Society, that it truly is an organization restored to the earth and that it's roots beckon back to ancient women in Christ's time like Mary and Martha, and even Lydia. I am part of a whole host of women disciples, followers of Jesus Christ. That is powerful!

Another powerful lesson was listening to her in person at the 2011 BYU Women's Conference. The words she spoke that day were for me. She validated my own feelings of having and wanting a large family. At the 2010 Women's Conference she taught that as mothers we are like lionesses at the gate of the home. It is my responsibility to guard what comes into my home.

Any woman, no matter how good, can never be an effective president without wonderful counselors to help and sustain her. Under their leadership the wonderful book Daughters in My Kingdom was released to help us all learn and study the history of Relief Society.


Dear sweet Sister Allred, who reminds me so much of my Mexican grandmother, taught me to go to the temple and learn, to receive instruction for me personally, and my family. She taught this through example as well. One day while my husband and I visited the Salt Lake Temple she was there in our session, reverently living the words she had taught.

I have also learned that I can and must stand steadfast and immovable in the face of faith trying challenges. I can do that through utilizing the atonement in my life, staying close to my Heavenly Father, relying on Him to help me. Sister Allred taught me if I truly learn to love others and serve them I will develop charity, the pure love of Christ, and in so doing will manifest my discipleship to Christ.


Sister Barbara Thompson just makes me smile! Her cheerful disposition and sense of humor have endeared her to so many women.

She taught me to mind the gaps in my life. "Sometimes it is the difference between what we know and what we actually do or the gap between our goals and what we actually accomplish." My biggest gap? Motherhood. Oh yes.

Sister Thompson spoke recently at a regional meeting in my area. She taught us to "SEEK JESUS." Miracles occur within us when we seek Him in every aspect of our lives. We cannot be casual about our desire to follow Christ. "And now, I would commend you to seek this Jesus of whom the prophets and apostles have written, that the grace of God the Father, and also the Lord Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost, which beareth record of them, may be and abide in you forever. Amen." {Ether 12:41}

I'm not sure what made this Relief Society Presidency so dear to me. Maybe it was the easy access to their words.

Or maybe I finally grew up enough to pay attention. 

What have you learned from these wonderful women? Do you have any memories associated with them? Please share in the comments!

As proof of how much I love Sister Beck here's a list of all the posts where I have quoted her!
By Small and Simple Things
A Mother's Role
Personal Warning Rattles
A Summer Cottage in Babylon
Sharing the Family Proclamation
Keepers at Home
The Law of True Marriage
BYU Women's Conference 2011: Julie B. Beck
Julie B. Beck's Women's Conference Talk
Daughters in my Kingdom

Cocoa Signature with Candy 2 © 2007-2011 Chocolate on my Cranium, LLC all rights reserved
Categories:

0 comments:

Post a Comment